Tuesday, July 1, 2008

25-May-08 Quiet Sundays

So far, I've really enjoyed my Sunday mornings here. I'm a rather early riser....and when I've ventured out on my bicycle or been kayaking, it's usually deserted most places (except for the occasional drunk on the sidewalk from the night/morning before). I think that's the time I enjoy the most.......having certain places all to yourself. In Chicago, there are always people around, so even if you are in the park or down a side street, within 5 minutes, someone is likely to come along and spoil your privacy. Today I kayaked for about 1.5 hours but only encountered about 2 people as I went along.....it doesn't start getting busy until noon, and even then, people don't start taking their boats out until 2 or 3pm, which is when the day is mostly over.

I've only ventured up the Stour/Avon rivers to this point.....I haven't had the courage to venture down into the main part of the Christchurch harbor as I've been told sometimes the wind can get the waves built up. As I'm still getting acclimated to the kayak, I need a little more time and confidence.

2 comments:

IanH said...

No problem - down the river, across the harbour, pull up on the beach for a drink at the Cafe and then out through "The Run" into Christchurch Bay. Used to do it every weekend - give me a shout and I'll take you through the route.

TC said...

hey! surprise comments eh?