Friday, May 2, 2008

01-May-08 Quiz Night at the Pub

I currently have a work colleague staying with me for 2-3 weeks, who is here in the same location for 1 year. I will refer to him on-going as BK, and he's staying with me until he can settle into his own flat, which will be only 1 mile down the road.

Last night BK and I went to a pub just 1 block from the flat called The Commodore (http://www.pub-explorer.com/dorset/pub/commodoresouthbourne.htm). I had the beef and ale "pie" and he had chicken crusted with goat cheese. No mushy pea fritters! Relatively good, although the food at the Spyglass and Kettle a couple day earlier was better. The Commodore did have better atmosphere and was busy with locals.

We partook of the various selections of beer....John Smith's, Greene King IPA (I will explain IPA in a later blog), Carling ice cold, Tanners Jack, Ringwood Ale and Abbot Ale.

This night was Quiz Night....this is quite common in a number of the pubs in the UK (as well as karaoke, but not at this location). The theme is music-based, so the DJ/moderator ask 30 questions, and the "team" that gets the most correct win a prize, and it's 1 pound to enter. (Or 1 "quid" if you use the alternate word.)

The only problem is that it's mostly based on music hits in the UK, not the US. While there is some overlap and related questions to singers we BK and I knew about (Tiffany, Elvis, Beatles, Aerosmith, Scott McKenzie, Four Seasons, etc.), there were several where I had no clue (Pulp, Eddie Cochran, Tom Steele, Supergrass). Anyway, out of a possible score of 50 points, BK and I only managed 10. AND, we even got beat by the 60-year-old couple.

No comments: