Friday, May 2, 2008

02-May-08 Weekend in Barcelona

Tomorrow I will be picking up DF from Heathrow EARLY tomorrow morning and then going to Bournemouth. From there, we will be taking the afternoon flight on Ryan Air (ryanair.com) from Bournemouth airport (yes, it is small) to Barcelona (actually, Girona airport, just 1 hour outside Barcelona) for a whopping 115 GBP for the both of us. Ryan Air (and also Easyjet, easyjet.com) are regional European carriers that fly very cheaply among European cities. They operate only 1-2 flights between certain routes and pack them on. It's QUITE cheaper than even Southwest Airlines in the US and very safe. In some cases, the flights are £1 but you then have to pay taxes and fees, which add up quickly.

But for such a fairly cheap fare, you can quickly go to southern Europe. In fact, when I compared it to taking the ferry over to France from Poole Harbor, it was cheaper for us to fly. And it will be 22 C, a wee bit warmer than Bournemouth.

No, I'm not trying to get out of England that quickly. We've just always wanted to go to Spain and it's a 3-day weekend. Monday is a national holiday, although I still really don't know what it's for. In fact, nobody that I asked at work had a clue why. I guess just a reason to have a day off....and I'm not arguing. :)

No comments: