Tuesday, May 6, 2008

06-May-08 Neighborhood Notables

In my neighborhood, it is mostly houses or flats in buildings no more than 2 stories high, so it's very residential and fewer transient residents. Just a block away is a garden area where many people walk their dogs throughout the day/evening.

There are a number of cats that prowl the area, but all are domesticated as they have collars. Next door, they have a falcon, tethered to a rope, and just sits outside during the day. But there are TONS of birds in the neighboring trees, including pigeons and many more than I don't recognize. In the late evening, they come out and sing, but even more so, when I leave for work, it's almost deafening.

I'm lucky to have a back "garden", with a stone patio, a small patch of grass, and a couple tiers of various plants/grasses. It's relaxing in the evening after a long day, but it's been cool so you can't sit outside too long.

I'm sure many might find it boring, but the people in the area seem rather friendly and open, since there are fewer tourists and fewer short-term renters. If I say hello and open the conversation, they are willing to converse, but they would never venture to be so rude as to initiate the conversation with a stranger. Not sure if it's common in most areas, but in the 'hood it is. I will say though, when I've talked to my neighbors, they do share what goes on along the street, who is who, who works where, etc. Yep, it's a small town atmosphere.

No comments: