Wednesday, May 7, 2008

08-May-08 Trip to London

As I'm going up to London tomorrow for the day, thought I'd get a jump-start on tomorrow's blog. The train ride from Bournemouth to London's Waterloo station takes about 1 hour 55 minutes, and the round trip outside of peak days is 71 GBP. I can even park my car in the parking lot with no problem, and only a small parking fee for the day.

From Waterloo station, I can then take the Tube (subway) to various points in the city. The tube is not the most efficient (lots of delays, incidents, closures), but is still usually the fastest to get around London.

I've been told that occasionally the trains do become standing-room-only for peak periods....but I doubt there's that much of a mad rush in Bournemouth. I'm supposing it gets busy as it gets closer to the London stops. Surprisingly, there are a number of people living here who do commute up to London for work, in some cases daily. At 71 GBP, that's a little expensive to do daily.

1 comment:

Halfie said...

Terry, if you were using the train to London regularly you'd get a season ticket. I've just looked it up: a weekly season ticket from Bournemouth to London Waterloo is £122.20 and a yearly ticket is £4,888.00. Still a lot of money, but a lot cheaper than buying separate on-the-day tickets! For one-off trips it's always worth checking nationalrail.co.uk to see if there's an advance fare available. They're usually much cheaper than the standard "walk on" fare but you do have to buy in advance (obviously) and specify the exact times of travel. There was an announcement recently that the fare structure is about to be simplified: I hope so, as it is very complicated at the moment (even for a Brit)!