Wednesday, April 16, 2008

16-Apr-08 Unusual Spelling and Words

As you probably know, the UK spells things differently. Theatre vs theater, centre vs center, flavour vs flavor, humour vs humor. As much as I had previously been to the UK, I never noticed that they spell car tires as “tyres”. And they also use an ‘s’ instead of a ‘z’, such as analyse, finalise, etc. And "schedule" is pronounced "shhhe-jool".

In addition, it’s a queue, not a line. You "inquiry of something", not "ask". You are remit to do it, instead of you’re accountable or responsible for it. And it’s a CV (curriculum vitae), not a resume. With a car, it's a boot, not the trunk; it's the bonnet, not the hood.

And it's not a briefcase, it's a "grip". So here, if someone says "get a grip", maybe it just means you have a tattered work bag. Which reminds me, a woman's wallet(money purse) is a purse; and a woman's purse is a bag.

I’m sure I’ll have many more to share as we go on.

No comments: