Friday, April 25, 2008

25-Apr-08 Fish & Chips Shops

Similar to all the "dive" joints in Chicago (Burrito-ville, Buona beef, deli's), the equivalent in UK is the fish & chips place. They are everywhere, but especially along the coast where fish is plentiful.

In my neighborhood, I stopped at one called "Chez Nick". With the word "chez" in the name, I figured it might be a little more French or upscale. I was wrong.

Anyway, there were all the traditional items....fish (cod, haddock, plaice), skate (like a manta ray), burger, chips (fries), onion rings, etc. Then, a UK fave, steak and kidney pie (I have NOT tried yet). All of these are fried, or deep-fat fried, or double-, triple-, or quadruple-fried. (I semi-joke about the double/triple/quadruple.) I saw that they had veggie burger, and thought that would be a healthy alternative.........wrong.

It was a bean/veggie mixture, breaded, then deep-fat fried. At least it had lettuce, onion, and tomato on top. I also saw they had mushy peas as a side dish, and a mushy pea fritter. I tried the fritter....it was a mixture of truly mushy peas, breaded, and deep-fat fried multiple times. It was crispy on the outside, then mushy (obviously) on the inside. That was my first.....and my last.

Also on the menu was potato jackets (baked potato), which you could get topped with all types of things, such as sour cream, cheese, bacon, etc. You could also get it topped with sausage, baked beans, tuna!, or even peas! With that, I steered away from the banana/pineapple fritter.

No comments: