Sunday, April 20, 2008

19-April-08 Side Trip to Arundel




The weather was lightly raining today so I ventured east to just find a little village to explore. I drove on the A336 out of Bournemouth, along the M27 past Southampton, and along the A27. After an hour, I came across this little town called Arundel. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me, so I've gone on-line to attach a couple of pics of the town. What struck me was the Cathedral and Castle that tower above the town. It is actually quite a small town, much more a tourist spot, but still has a home-y feel, not a tourist trap. There are a few shops and stores, and the streets wind through the town, along the east side of the Arun River.






I looked up info about the town later.....the Arundel Castle was actually build by the Normans in 1066, it was later damaged and restored in the 18th century. Arundel Cathedral was built dedicated in 1873 as a Roman Catholic cathedral, less common in UK as most citizens belong to the Church of England, not the Roman Catholic church.




** Interesting tidbit....the citizens of the Arundel area are called "Mullets". No, not because of their hairstyle, but because of the mullets (fish) that are predominantly in the Arun river.

It really is amazing how so much history, architecture and other interesting cultural things are within just an hour of a single place.

No comments: