Sunday, April 20, 2008

21-Apr-08 Bognor Regis, what a name!

As you can tell, I've submitted this early. Tomorrow will be busy so I'm getting a jump-start on Monday's blog.

The other day that I ventured across Arundel, the other town that I was thinking of seeing was Bognor Regis, as it was in the same area. Just the name evokes something unique. I've had a chance to look it up (and I'll venture there some other weekend) and it is a coastal resort town. It is one of the oldest recorded Saxon place names (parts of Britain originally formed into a political entity from the merging of the Anglos and the Saxons, ages ago). Originally named just Bognor, when King George V spend some time rehabilitating here in 1929, he bestowed the royal name to the town by naming is Bognor Regis.

Interestingly, there is an annual competition (The International Bognor Birdman) at the main pier, whereby people invest a "human flying machine" and attempt to fly it off the end of the pier. The contestant who happens to glide the furthest distance (obviously more than just straight down!) is declared the winner each summer. You can see the info at http://www.birdman.org.uk/.

And now my life will be complete after I attend the Birdman!

No comments: